QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd

QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd
Moving you forward...

Friday 24 October 2014

"Prison Is My University, I've Learnt A Lot" - Freed Suspect Recounts Ordeal

He wasted six years in incarceration at the Kirikiri Maximum Prison, Ikoyi in Lagos for an offence he did not commit, freed armed robbery suspect yesterday said he was happy to have undergone the ordeal. Kelvin Robert, 40, was remanded in prison custody in 2008 after he was arrested at his Mba Street, Ajegunle residence by operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), for allegedly being an accomplice to armed robbery.

Robert, who said he was a commercial driver, disclosed that his ordeal started after his friend in the neighbourhood, who was caught with stolen items and weapons, fingered him as a partner in crime.

While his co-accused was freed by former Lagos Chief Judge, Justice Ayotunde Philips during one of her prison visits, Robert remained in prison until yesterday when Justice Raliatu Adebiyi of a Lagos High Court, Igbosere discharged and acquitted him.

Speaking to The Nation after regaining freedom, Robert said he considers himself lucky to have been incarcerated because to him, the prison is a university. “I have never gone for any robbery operation in my life. I knew the first accused person because he was my friend but I never knew he was a robber. I knew him as a hustler, who goes to Tincan Island to do menial jobs.

“I was a danfo driver before I was arrested. I was told the guy was caught during an operation and that he was locked up for six months before he mentioned me as his partner. That was how I landed in the hands of SARS men after three months we were charged to court,” he said.

“From the court, we were taken straight to Kirikiri prison. I was in the prison without trial until this year when a human rights lawyer came and asked me why I was being held. After explaining everything to him, he told me not to worry that he would pursue my matter.

“Suddenly, my name was announced among those who were to be taken to court. My lawyer was not present the first day, but from the next day, he was always available. When trial started, the court asked the prosecutor to provide its witnesses and exhibits but on several occasions, nothing was provided.

“When we came to court on June 27, the judge gave the prosecutor the last chance to provide its witnesses and exhibits and adjourned the matter till October 21 and so, when the prosecutor could still not provide its witnesses, the judge struck out the case,” he added.

Robert said he learnt how to acknowledge God’s supremacy while in prison, adding that he now seeks God’s face in everything he does.

“Prison to me was like a university. I learnt a lot of things I never knew. I learnt how to be patient in life. So, I do not see prison as a place of punishment or suffering. Though I was locked up for doing nothing, I am happy I had to go through that experience.

“I see prison as a learning ground. We were being fed well and properly taken care of. Prison has made me a better person. So, I do not regret anything,” said Robert.

No comments:

Post a Comment