QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd

QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd
Moving you forward...

Monday 28 April 2014

“Growing Up Was Tough, There Were Days I Went Without Food” – M.I Reveal Life’s Journey, Career, Hobbies & More

Chocolate city’s star artiste and Africa rapper No.1 himself, Jude Abaga, a.k.a M.I or The Chairman who rose to prominence when his song “Safe” featuring label mate, DJinee became popular in Nigeria, released his debut album, “Talk About It” in 2008, has been silent in the music industry with his last work “Chairman” released in 2013. He talks to ThisDay on his life’s journey, career, Hobbies and more!


Why I took a break from music…
I have been recording since 2005 and I felt like I needed a rest. People didn’t really know me till 2008/2009, but I’ve been on this journey since 2005. So, at the end of 2011, when I wanted to start Loopy Music, I felt it was time for me to take a break. Also at that time, there were lots of new artistes trying to come up and haven achieved a reasonable level of success, I felt it’ll be good for me to take the back seat for a while, just to refresh my inspiration.
I’m dropping a new album this year…
I have been working now. I’m dropping a new album this year by God’s grace. We are continuing the good work we have been doing at Chocolate City And Loopy Music which is bringing up new artistes and creating more platforms for young and aspiring musicians. This is very important, because people sort of over look it and make it seems unimportant, but it’s a very big deal for the continuity of our industry. So, that’s a very important part of my job and I love doing it. I’ve also been working with brands, building relationships.
Rising to the post of Chocolate City’s Vice President….
First let me explain to you that Chocolate City is my wife and Loopy Music is my daughter. Chocolate City is my label as an artiste, and Loopy is a platform that I created for fast rising artistes to be able to express themselves. I started with Chocolate City as a guitar boy. I used to carry the Chairman’s bag when he goes out. I was like a P.A (personal Assistant) sort of, and today, I own shares in Chocolate City. I’m the head of music, and all these really make me proud, because for everybody that says there’s no upward mobility and complains about the industry not growing, I just laugh. I am a living and working proof that the industry is growing and if people want to do it the right way - honour contracts, work hard and build relationships - there’s a future for you and for me. This has become so much a part of my day to day life. I can foresee in the not so distant future not being a musician and just being an executive.
Growing up …
I didn’t grow up as a rich kid and I wasn’t poor either. We weren’t middle class either. I think we were amongst the upper lower class. There were days we didn’t have food, we did the cocoa yam and oil too. I mean, those days when we boil cocoa yam and then you put onions inside the oil and fry it with salt. So, we did that too. But my parents did their best; they worked hard and did their best to give us education and good life.
 Biggest risk I ever took…..
It was when I left Jos for Lagos. I moved to Lagos when I was 26 years and it was really crazy because Lagos is a different country and I have never been to Lagos prior that time. So, to me, Lagos was completely different from anywhere I had ever been in my life. For me, that was pretty risky (laughs). And then, every time an artiste puts out a song or idea, I think that’s a risk too. That’s why you see some artistes reacting harshly to negative comments, because they are really giving a piece of themselves and they know it’s a huge risk for people to accept or like the songs. Nobody wants to look stupid or be made fun of.
My love for football….
If I had a second chance, I guess I would love to see how far my love for football would have carried me as a player, because I really loved football when I was younger.
I’m absolutely fulfilled...
I feel fulfillment is not a destination. It’s a journey. So, I feel like I am on that path. I feel like I’ve done well. I remember when I finished recording the “Illegal Music” album, I felt on top of the world. I have recorded 5 albums and close to 400 songs. So, really, I feel I’ve done very well, and more importantly is maintaining relationships. I’m very proud of my relationship with my team, family and people around me.
Lowest moment in life…
You know I have two brothers and at some point they were both pronounced terminally ill. But they didn’t pass away. So, both Jesse and J Soul were not supposed to be alive at some point in their lives. So, that for me was a very low moment in my life. Then, when I was in the United States for a while, I had some pretty rough years when things weren’t going well at all.
Jesse Jags and Brymo leaving Chocolate City….
It’s a legal matter where my opinion doesn’t matter at all. They have contracts they signed with Chocolate City and the dissolution of the said contracts is completely between both parties. It’s really sad that we built this amazing thing called the ‘Choc Boys” and it had to dissolve, and sadder than that is the relationship between myself and Brymo. It is not as cordial as it used to be. But for the most part, I’m proud of what we built. I am proud of Jesse’s music now. He’s doing well and even Brymo’s music is doing well even though I was not part of it I could only relate with it as a fan. The videos he put out are brilliant. So, as for the contract part of it, I really can’t say much about that. It’s between them and Chocolate City.

No comments:

Post a Comment