QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd

QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd
Moving you forward...

Monday 19 May 2014

“Love Is A Beautiful Thing” – Mavin’s Dr. Sid Reveals Inspiration Behind ‘Surulere’ & His Success Story

Mavin Records star artiste and MTN’s new ambassador, Sidney Onoriode Esiri, famously known as Dr. Sid, is still basking in the euphoria of his achievements in recent times. This was all over him at the weekend during the MAMA’s nomination party held at Victoria Island, Lagos. The son of the late veteran actor, Justus Esiri reveals his success story, his love life and the inspiration behind his monster hit 'Surulere' to Encomium. See the excerpts below and share your thoughts!

Let’s talk about your hit tract, Surulere. Did you envisage it will be a hit?
When an artiste creates a song, his hope is that the song do well. For me, my prayer was that people would understand Surulere the way I wanted. The song that would minister to every individual, and I am happy that they did not only understand Surulere, they accepted it as part of their day-to-day slang. It is great joy seeing my fans irrespective of their tribes singing Surulere, Suru Aiye mi… I am very happy and I am grateful to God.
You’re putting on a branded DoroLere shirt, what is it all about?
MAVIN Records recently released a new song called DoroBucci. It was a song Don-Jazzy created on a social media and we decided to share it with our fans. It featured Don-Jazzy, Tiwa Savage, D’Prince, and I. For the first time, the song also has our new signees into Mavin family, Di’Ja, Korede Bello and Reekado Banks.
What does it mean?
Dorobucci is a movement, you’re a dorobucci, I am a dorobucci, so also everybody. So, the question is, what is doro about you? For me, my doro is Lere, that is why you see it boldly written on my branded T-shirt, Doro Lere, meaning, Doro has reward.
Which story of your life made you to write and title your song, Surulere?
I started my journey as a dancer at the university. From there, I became a back-up dancer for a rap group called, Trybesmen, which later led me to become a member of a rap group and record label called, The Trybe Records. From there, I became a member of another group called MoHits Records, which also led me to becoming one of the biggest artistes in Nigeria.
Meanwhile, at the time D’banj and Don-Jazzy came back to Nigeria, I was already a big artiste, but because I had to go back to school, D’banj’s success was phenomenal. When I returned, I was not ashamed to play a lesser role to support my friend (D’banj), who was already a big artiste, and worked my way up the ladder.
It was difficult for some people to believe. Some of my friends even called asking, why I am following D’banj? I told them, I know where I am going and they would soon see result. And today, I am here, back to the top, where I belong, back then. That’s my Surulere memory.
What has kept you this far?
My philosophies, which are, pray hard and work hard. Loyalty has also helped, and the fact that I surround myself with good people, we encourage and develop each other. I believe in constructive criticism. I don’t claim to be the best, but I will do very well in whatever I put my hands on.
You recently marked your 34th birthday. What would you say life has taught you at 34?
Life is short, life is sweet and life is beautiful. Life has taught me to make hay while the sun shines, never put your eggs in one basket. Life has taught me to always be in the midst of good people, those that believe in you more than you believe in yourself.
Dr. Sid is one of the biggest artistes in Nigeria. Dr. Sid has built his own house, Dr. Sid is engaged. What more favour do you want?
I am starting Dr. Sid Foundation. It’s meant to help the youth to empower themselves. First, whatever profession or vocation you want to belong, education is very important. I am a doctor and I believe that it has really helped my music career positively. But, not everybody will be able to achieve it, that’s why I am creating this foundation to develop, and create an avenue for them to discover themselves.
Let’s talk about your love life. When are you getting married?
Summer, around July, after the World Cup
How does it feel to be in love?

From the quote of my very good friend who once said, “Don’t get it twisted, love is a beautiful thing.” If men want to be sincere to themselves, they perform better, they behave better, once they have a woman in their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment