QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd

QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd
Moving you forward...

Tuesday 24 February 2015

From Jeremiah Gyang’s P.A To Superstar – M.I Talks Life's Journey, Music, Relationships & More

Award-winning rapper, M.I, who was born Jude Abaga, is from Taraba State, but grew up in Jos, the home of many music stars. His recent album titled "Chairman" is a masterpiece. The 17-tracker features a good number of collabos and the imprints of seven different music producers. In this interview with The Leadership, Mr Incredible talks on his music, persona, the women in his life and more.

How did you spend Valentine?
I spent it outside my home. I was in company of APC Lagos’ gubernatorial candidate, Mr Ambode, with other entertainment personalities at Ikeja Shopping Mall. I just came to give my support to a friend and lover of the industry and we spent quite sometime there, after which I went to my place to hang out with few friends.

Who is the woman in your life?
Hmm… I have three women in my life: my mother, Jade (who is my wonderful niece) and a nameless woman. I don’t talk about my relationship publicly.

Your 17-track album, Chairman dropped last October, how did you pull it through?
Thanks. It’s by the grace of God. It took me two solid years to produce an album like that. It has everything you want in an album- massive collaborations, great songs, good hits; something to ponder on, just a potpourri of different songs. I’m dropping the video bit by bit. Bad Belle video has just been released and it’s enjoying airplay right now. I am dropping a new album this year and before then, two more videos from Chairman album.

What inspired the album’s title song, Chairman?
“Chairman” is just a name we sometimes use to refer to someone, out of respect. When I came to Lagos from Jos, that was the word I was hearing everyone using to salute one another. So I made a song out of it. The song has Oritsefemi lacing it with his angelic voice, coupled with Frank Edwards’ ingenuity- a great collabo. I’m glad people like the song and it’s been one of the seventeen tracks of the album that connects with people.

It was the second bestselling album in 2014 according to Spinlet and it was at the top billboard chart for weeks according to iTunes. People think I’m the ‘Chairman’ in the song but if you listen to the song, God is the chairman in it. He is the secret behind my career and I owe it all to God as a young boy from Jos that just came to Lagos to hustle.

From Jeremiah Gyang’s personal assistant to superstar, did you ever think you’d get this big?
Not at all! I could never have envisaged being at this point in my career. It’s all the work of God as no one ever really thinks they would amount to something in this entertainment industry of ours. We just launch out, record our songs, work hard and hope for the best. I’m one of the most fortunate musicians here since 2009, when I won MAMA and began to be noticed because of my songs, especially A Naughty A Naughty and African No1 ft Flavour. It has been a learning curve in the industry and MI is not there yet. Life and hardwork bring a duality of success. Also, I must give big kudos to Jeremiah Gyang who created the pathway for us-artistes from Jos. We owe him that honour.

What are the three things people don’t know about MI?
That‘s a good one- three things people don’t know about me. I’m a good basketballer. A lot of people don’t know that I play the game well. Ask Sound Sultan.

Which NBA club do you support then?
I support the San Antonio Spurs. I like the basketball club. Back to your question, three things people don’t know about me. I’m very good at playing FIFA on Play Station. Take that from me. I’m very good at that. Yeah, you can ask Sound Sultan, I usually defeat him in FIFA Play Station game. Then thirdly, a lot of people don’t know this but I’m a shy person.

No comments:

Post a Comment