QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd

QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd
Moving you forward...

Tuesday 17 February 2015

Why I Tore My PDP Membership Card — Obasanjo Speaks Out

A mixture of relief and rage swept through the leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) yesterday, after former President Olusegun Obasanjo publicly tore his membership card of the ruling party. Obasanjo’s theatrical renunciation of the party on whose platform he was twice elected president, was laced with another drama hours later when the State chapter of the party announced his expulsion from the party. In three tweets, yesterday night, explaining his decision, Obasanjo said:
“I’d rather sacrifice my political party for the interest of Nigeria than sacrifice my country for a political party led by a drug baron. 
“I’d rather tear the PDP membership card than sit down and let Jonathan use PDP and corruption to tear my beloved country apart. 
“I have national and international standard to maintain. For this reason I’d rather stand alone than be in the same political party with Kashamu.”

Obasanjo said that the party card he tore was one of the considerations to him in the bid to project Nigeria, pointing out that there was nothing he could not sacrifice for the interest of the nation and will still be ready to comment on any matter that required his comment or view.
“If there is anything that requires my comment, position or views, I will say it. It is only when you kill me that I will stop doing so.”
The former leader, who is known to have spearheaded the emergence of the Jonathan Presidency, explained that being patriotic demanded the will to sacrifice anything, including his life for the interest of Nigeria but not his life for a political party.
“My first preoccupation is what is best for Nigeria: Nigeria first, party second and anything third,” Obasanjo said.
Source: Vanguard

No comments:

Post a Comment