QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd

QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd
Moving you forward...

Thursday 9 April 2015

23-Year Old Witness Who Filmed Police Officer Killing Unarmed Man Speaks Out

Feidin Santana has been hailed a hero for filming the harrowing moment when a white cop repeatedly shot an unarmed black man, and said on today, Thursday, April 9,  that the victim was just trying to get away from the Taser. He told Today that 50-year-old Walter Scott 'was trying to get away from the Taser, his reaction was to get away... He never grabbed the Taser from the police'.

Mr Santana then said he watched in horror as Officer Michael Slager shot Scott in the back multiple times as he fled and then appeared to stage the scene at the vacant lot in North Charleston, South Carolina.
The 23-year-old, who was walking to work on Saturday when he witnessed the killing, admitted that he considered erasing the video and leaving town.
'I was scared. I am still scared. But I decided to show my face. My life has changed. People know where I live and where I work. I thought about staying anonymous but everyone including the police know who I am. It was a persecution. I saw Mr Scott running and officer chasing him. They were going to an empty spot.' Mr Santana said on Thursday
Mr Santana said that Officer Slager was aware he was at the scene. 'Maybe he could feel that somebody was there. I wanted him to know that he was not by himself,' he said.

However he said he knew that he had to reach out to the family to show them the tape of their loved one's death - which contradicted the police report that Slager had filed on the incident.
'I thought about his position, their situation ... If I were to have a family member that would happen [to], I would like to know the truth. Mr. Scott didn't deserve this, and there were other ways that can be used to get him arrested, and that wasn't the proper way to do that.'  he told NBC News anchor, Lester Holt.
Source: Dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment