QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd

QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd
Moving you forward...

Wednesday 16 July 2014

The Untold Story: "My Life As A Gay" - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue Opens Up

Joe Anthony Ekpo, fondly known as Joe Blue could best be remembered for his peculiar dress costume during 2012 edition of Nigeria Idol talent hunt show, was caught up with City Pulse during a mentoring programme for upcoming acts organised at The Empowerment Centre, Yaba, Lagos under the
aegis of Evolve Workshops™.  In an emotion-laden voice, Joe Blue shocked the listening audience when he started dissecting his life from birth, his unhappy childhood including the pain and agonies he suffered, what led him into the world of homosexuality, Nigerian Idol odyssey and his ultimate triumph when he had an encounter with Christ. Also In attendance were Afro Jazz diva, Yinka Davies; 2010 MTN Project Fame finalist, Tolulope Abraham Adesina and Mr. Gson Ebuka, coordinator of Evolve Workshops™.
Below are excerpts of the interview:
Tell us a bit about yourself
I appreciate Jesus Christ and Nigerian Idol judge, Yinka Davies who I have come to see as my big sister. I was born into a family of seven and studied theatre arts in UNILAG. Unfortunately I couldn’t finish my study and had to drop out.

Growing up to be something you never dreamt about can be quite funny. What was your childhood fantasies like?
Well, I grew up seeing my siblings as perfect. Many believed that I was born by mistake and subjected me to a life of torment. I live a very unhappy childhood. I was what you could call a child of rejection while growing up. However, the stigma has turned out to work in my favour now.

Didn’t that trauma leave a scar on you?
It did! You see, I turned out gay because I found myself in the company of friends I couldn’t help mixing with. That was an era when people don’t talk much about this ‘gay thing’ unlike the way it is now.
Are you still a gay?
No! I finally got transformed when I came across my current spiritual father, Pastor Simeon Adeola, less than a year ago. Prior to that, I lost my biological father three years ago. I was confused and knew I needed somebody to guide me because I wasn’t happy with what I turned out to be. How do I explain spending almost 23 years of my life as a gay? It was a terrible moment for me. After I crashed out of the first season of Nigerian Idol, I was seriously depressed. There was a time I told myself I won’t mind sleeping with anybody for N30 million or even go as far as getting a mark of the beast. At the time, it was one of those demonic thoughts I had as a kid.

That must have been a terrible moment for you, wasn’t it?
Yes, it was. My transformation was a personal decision I had to make. If I had not taken that step, I could have turned out worse. It was a time I even slept with three persons at the same time. Just as smoking, the addiction was too strong. Looking back now, I can say all the friends in my life were a waste. Rather advised against my lifestyle, they urged me on and contributed negatively to my life.
Let us talk about your spiritual father. How was he able to transform you?

At first, it wasn’t easy. But Pastor Adeola kept reassuring me that change don’t come if I don’t desire it. So I walked towards getting that needed transformation. That was how he brought Jesus into my life. He gave me a book to meditate on, observed my actions and inaction, talked to my soul and helped to study the Bible assiduously. With time I got to understand that Christ cannot help me unless I am ready to work with Him. In fact, Pastor Adeola taught me to change my confession from ‘I was GAY’ to ‘Now I am a new man!’ He understands me and can tell when the devil was about invoking the spirit of homosexuality back into my soul. He made me feel special and showed me the kind of genuine love I have craved all my life. Now I want to pray the way he prays, dress the way he dresses and prophesy the way he does.

It has been said that success has many friends. Do you still retain your old friends?
No! With all I passed through, you know I can’t do that. I have cut away from old friends, because they are all gays. The fact remains that if you mix with drunkard, you will become one. If you follow prostitutes, you will equally become one soon. Unfortunately, I know not everybody is privilege to break away as I did.

What are your plans for the future?
I aim to teach transgressors the way of Christ is my dream. I have a lot of projects I don’t want to start mentioning here. The little time I have here on planet earth, I want to live in serving God

Do you have a girlfriend?
Girlfriend? That is not even in my plan right now. It is not the ultimate, not even cars or money

What is your regret in life?
Not knowing Christ early enough

No comments:

Post a Comment