QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd

QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd
Moving you forward...

Thursday 18 December 2014

"Being An Ogboni Does Not Stop You From Attending Church Or Mosque" — Olori Oluwo

The Olori Oluwo (Supreme Leader) of the Reformed Ogboni Fraternity, Francis Oluwagbenro Meshioye - A seasoned administrator and chartered accountant, bares it all in this interview with Tribune Online about the fraternity which he says takes its roots from Nigerian culture. Read excerpts from the chat below and share your thoughts:

People perceive the Reformed Ogboni Fraternity (ROF) negatively but you joined and over the years rose to become the Olori Oluwo (Supreme Leader), what was the initial attraction for you?
I wanted to understand my culture, to know why I am here. Why was I not born in India as a Hindu or in China to embrace their culture and religion? This made me to begin to look within myself to know who I am and I extended this to what I have within my area. I am a firm believer in the Yoruba saying, ‘Animo ni peregun laso’ meaning you add to whatever you have. If that is the case, I wouldn’t leave what I have found within my environment to embrace other things. I do embrace other things, mind you, but I believe that there is something we inherited from our source.  I wanted to know why I am a Nigerian, a Yoruba man, what is my culture like and what is wrong with it amongst other things.

Aside these, I wanted to know God my own way because if you know God and His laws, you will be a better human being. Thereafter, I realised that what I wanted was in my immediate environment. I looked at my culture and realised that it is very useful to realise my oneness with God. Our culture does not cast aspersion on any other and I found out in the Bible – I was raised a Christian – ‘Thou shall not judge’. The bible also says ‘search all things, find out the one that is true and hold on to the truth.’ So, I looked at everything and opted for Ogboni. Incidentally, Ogbonism does not prevent you from going to the church or the mosque.

What are the criteria for joining the fraternity?
You must be known by someone who is a member because we want people of good character. You must have a sponsor who will attest to your good character.  You must be an adult according to the laws of the land; you must have a verifiable source of livelihood and you must be industrious. You apply and your letter will be sent to the state where your sponsor lives; you will be investigated, apparently without your knowledge. If you are found lacking in those key areas during the investigation period, we will tell you sorry you can’t be our member. If you don’t have any shortcomings, you come for an interview. You meet people who will discuss with you and if you are successful at the interview you are on your way to joining.

Read the interview here

No comments:

Post a Comment